There are 4 editions to the Big Book.
- First edition Published 1939: 300,000 copies printed
- Second edition Published 1955: 1,150,500 copies printed
- Third edition Published 1976: 19,550,000 copies printed
- Fourth edition Published 2001: (37th printing as of 2017) As of this date, over 30 million copies have sold
“Because this book has become the basic text for our society and helped…. there exists a strong sentiment against any radical changes being made in it.”
- 2nd edition moved the Dr’s opinion to the Roman Numeral section.
- Spiritual Experience added in the 2nd printing of the 1st edition.
- 2nd edition: the appendices were added. Personal stories were changed. (Now found in the book experience, strength and hope.)
- 3rd edition: Stories changed around. (Redacted stories are now found in Experience, Strength and Hope book.)
- 4th Edition: 12 concepts added. Personal stories changed. (Redacted stories are now found in Experience, Strength and Hope book.)
All changes were made to reflect the current fellowship. AA hopes the process of identification would increase by doing this.